As you will know if you've been following me lately on here and on social media, I have completely embraced Hygge. I have even created my own Instagram community #MomentsOfHygge. But I have seen a lot of people roll their eyes at me (well, an online eye roll if there is such a thing), just another hipster who's jumped on the latest trend train. Well, actually no.
This year I'm choosing happiness. I have been suffering from anxiety since the birth of my daughter. I have good spells and bad spells. The bad can be completely overwhelming, the heart palpitations and shortness of breath eat away at you, even when you can't understand why you're feeling that way. Anxiety is an ugly beast that controls and try's to destroy you if you let it. Well, I have had enough and I'm prising myself away from it's grip.
I was introduced to Hygge over Christmas, I love it's meaning and heritage. I'm incredibly fond of the Scandinavian way, so was naturally drawn to it. The words 'beautiful ordinary', 'well-being', 'art of creating intimacy' all of which summarise Hygge perfectly - it is not just candles and blankets folks, although they can be used to create an atmosphere that invites Hygge. Of course, I'm not a Dane, I wouldn't want to insult them by claiming I'm an expert - more simply someone who appreciates it's meaning.
So what are my moments of Hygge?
- Coffee from my cafeteria, not instant, taking my time to enjoy it's aromas.
- Babywearing, being close to your baby is pretty much ultimate Hygge for me.
- Seeing my children play (completely squabble free).
- A Sneaky snooze with my Hubby, whilst the kids watch TV in our bed.
- Flicking through old photographs at my Grandma's house.
- Laughing until I cry with my three best buddies.
- A pub lunch after a cold (and wet, because let's face it, it's Britain) family walk.
- Lazy Sunday at my Dad's house. Children often on their own adventures in his garden.
- Random drives.
- Frosty mornings.
- My journey to work (I know, I'm weird right - but the landscape is quite beautiful on a misty morning).
What would be your moments of Hygge?
Mummy B xoxox
🌿 #momentsofhygge 🌿 NEW INSTAGRAM COMMUNITY Having fallen in love with Hygge and my quest for a more positive and happier outlook on life, I decided that this would be my starting point for this new community. Hygge is something that a lot of us already embody in our day to day life - without even realising it. So for those of you who're unfamiliar with the term, Hygge, a Danish word, (pronounced “HUE-gah”) is described in a number of ways. It can be seen simply as the Danish ritual of enjoying life's simple pleasures. Friends. Family. Graciousness. It's often described as a feeling or mood that can come from taking genuine pleasure in making ordinary, everyday moments more meaningful, beautiful or special. Some refer to hygge as an “art of creating intimacy” either with yourself, friends and your home. Add the #momentsofhygge and your picture maybe featured 📷 #instagramcommunity #pbloggers #lbloggers #hygge #pbloggersuk #mummybloggers #bloggers